How would you define architectural design?
Here are some definitions from different sources on the internet.
- Concept that focuses on the components or elements of a structure or system and unifies them into a coherent and functional whole, according to a particular approach in achieving the objective(s) under the given constraints or limitations. (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/architectural-design.html)
- An idea that takes the parts of a structure and turns them into a whole system. This is done with objectives and limitations. (http://thelawdictionary.org/architectural-design/)
- Architectural design as problem solving by adding value.To try to break it down to its most simplistic state, we design to solve a problem. But design goes beyond just solving problems. (https://bluearchitecture.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/what-is-architectural-design/)
Or we can sum it up as follows:
Architectural Design is the illustrated concept prepared by an architect that focuses on the features or elements of building/s or structure/s and the utilization of the site and space within and surrounding such building/s or structure/s and unifies them into a coherent and functional whole, following a generally accepted approach to achieve the objective/s, abiding by set norms and considering the architectural principles of utility, strength and beauty.
On the other hand, structural design performed by accredited civil engineers (structural engineers) can be defined as follows:
- Manner where the load bearing members of a framework support each other in load sharing. ( http://thelawdictionary.org/structural-design/)
- The selection of materials and member type, size, and configuration to carry loads in a safe and serviceable fashion. In general, structural design implies the engineering of stationary objects such as buildings and bridges, or objects that may be mobile but have a rigid shape such as ship hulls and aircraft frames. (http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Structural+design)
- Manner in which the load bearing (structural) members of a physical framework support each other in sharing the load (stress). (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/structural-design.html)